So let’s talk “egg salad?” Most likely you are either a huge fan OR to the contrary, simply can’t stand it. A couple miles from where I live there is a wonderful bagel store that is super well-known and undeniably delicious. In particular, they serve one dish that is known by most of us to be very low in calories. It is basically composed of egg whites, spinach and a light mayonnaise. Due to its popularity, I thought it could be fun to create my own version of this appetizing fare and see what came about! Basically, I took those similar ingredients and added a little red onion, Dijon mustard, garlic powder and actually wound up including some egg yolks. The more that I read, the more I see that incorporating these little “yell-a fellas” provide us with vitamins & minerals that are super nutritious for our hair, eye sight and a great source of omega 3-fatty acids. Plus they really round out the taste of the salad. I’m a fan of plating it on a bed of more spinach leaves or lettuce, then scooping it up with some crunchy crackers or pita chips. So healthy, so delicious and such the wonderful easy homemade lunch!
• 4 hard boiled eggs + 3 extra egg whites peeled and chopped (A helpful “peeling shell” tip to is to toss the eggs into a big ice bath bowl immediately when cooking is complete. The shells will not stick as much.)
• 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoon finely minced red onion
• 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 10 washed and trimmed fresh spinach leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• Kosher salt & Pepper to taste
1.) Line up spinach leaves and neatly stack one on top of the other. Roll them up like like a cigar and run your knife through creating thin strips. (This is a similar technique to cutting basil)
2.) In medium-sized bowl chop eggs/egg whites with a fork and mix with spinach and onions. (Reserve a few spinach strips for garnish)
2.) Stir together mustard, mayo & seasonings in a smaller bowl.
4.) Combine everything and garnish with extra strips of spinach.