“for the chicken”
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized chunks
- 1/2 cup egg beaters
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
“for the glaze”
- 1/4 cup beef broth (look for low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (invest in a tube of tomato paste which will eliminate wasting remainder in a can)
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (apple juice and white grape juice can be used instead)
- 2 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoon orange zest (gratings made from peel of the orange)
- 2 tablespoon apricot preservatives
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper chili paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil (peanut oil or olive oil can be used instead)
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
“for the veggies”
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into bite size chunks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 scallions chopped
1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.) In a large resealable bag mix together flour, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger and salt.
3.) Dunk chicken chunks into a bowl of the egg beaters and then place into the flour bag shaking all around to coat.
4.) Place chicken on a small sprayed baking sheet and cook in oven for 12-15 minutes. (Lightly spray top of chicken before placing in the oven)
5.) While chicken is cooking, to make glaze whisk together broth and cornstarch in a small non-stick skillet, once combined add in vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, orange juice.
6.) Mix in tomato paste, apricot preserves, chili paste & orange zest. Stir until everything is nicely mixed. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the sauce reduces and becomes thick & glossy.
7.) Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Stir-fry garlic, peppers and carrots until they are crisp-tender.
8.) Gently add in baked chicken and pour glaze all over both chicken and veggies.